Wednesday, March 5, 2014

About The Bag Lady

My name is Kyra and I'm a 22-year-old college graduate living in the Twin Cities. I spend all day ordering wine for Trader Joe's, and all night cooking. I love food, wine, and experimenting with the two. Whether it's new recipes, or interesting food and wine pairings, you can find me in the kitchen, developing something new.

So two months ago, when one of my best friends, George, told me about the Wonderbag, I was intrigued. As its website so succinctly states:

The Wonderbag was developed to ease the social, economic and environment[al] impacts of the current global circumstances. The Wonderbag is a non-electric, heat-retention cooker that allows food that has been brought to a boil, to continue cooking after it has been removed from the fuel source. (http://nb-wonderbag.com/)

So obviously this thing appealed to me on many levels. On the environmental level, I can now cook for hours with zero energy use, either in the form of electricity or cooking gas, which means a (very marginally) cleaner planet! On the economic level, I'm not paying for hours of energy to cook my food, and I'm not wasting valuable resources that could (maybe) be better used elsewhere! And on the Kyra-has-too-many-irrational-fears level, I can now happily leave my apartment and go to work or the gym or... (nope, wait, those are the only places I go...) without constantly worrying that my slow-cooker/stove has burst into flames and burned down my entire apartment building and the renter's insurance won't cover it and I'll be left with crippling debt for the rest of my life...

And the absolute best part? It works. All you do is bring the contents of your pot up to a rolling boil, and then put the covered pot into this ingenious bag and tie it shut. And it just keeps cooking, cooking, cooking for up to 12 hours.


This is a picture of my Wonderbag, with a coffee cup for size reference.

Thanks be to George, who finally got his hands on one for me. (You can get yours on Amazon... if you're lucky.) This bag is revolutionary.

This blog is where I'll be documenting my wildly successful (and, I suppose, the inevitable dramatically catastrophic) adventures with my Wonderbag. 



No comments:

Post a Comment